Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fish Tacos - MEGA REVIEW

How did I spend my spring break?  Well, I had more fish tacos than I'll ever have in the rest of my life.  What have I learned from all this?  I'm not a fish taco guy, period end of sentance. 

El Pollo Loco - Baja Fish Taco:

My first fish taco was the advertised one from El Pollo Loco.  They got rid of steak but brought in this?  I can't remember what exactly the commercial stated, but I recall it saying these are "bursting with flavor".  More like bursting with NOTHING.  These fish tacos literally had no taste, I couldn't believe it.  The cabbage - nothing, cilantro - nothing, sauce - nothing, the fish - nothing, and the tortilla (which overwhelmed hints of anything with a resemblance of taste) - nothing.  On the bright side, at least the texture was ok and I now know what eating something without taste buds must feel like.


Fat rating: 4/10

Salt rating: 2.0/10

Taste rating: 1/10


Rubio's - World Famous Fish Taco 

Went here on Tuesday and brought them home.  Worst mistake I've made.  The tacos came out mushy from the slathered on white sauce.  Only the edges remained slightly crisp - what was left was one flour and one corn mush taco.  From what I could eat, these had decent flavor from the sauces (white and mild salsa)  The fish fillet was elongated and full of fishy goodness.  No, fish is not good. It sucks.   




Fat rating: 5/10

Salt rating: 4/10

Taste rating: 4.5/10




Taco Nazo - Taco de Pescado

Today I went here to round out the local places.  These were the cheapest (at regular price) at $1.69.  The first thing you'll notice is, damn, they do look a lot better than the previous two.  They taste slightly better as well.  The fish fillet is rectang-lish, so you have to fold it to one side of the tortilla before taking a bite.  This made it a bitch to eat, the sauce is messy as hell.  The shreddy cabbage was the best out of the three places - I liked the texture of it the most.  The pico de gallo didn't add much flavor.

After eating most of this taco, it dawned on me - Del Taco makes the only fish taco I'll probably ever get again.  I'm just not a fan of fish, like I said earlier - it sucks.  At least with Del Taco I don't recall it being messy or having an overwhelming amount of smelly-ass fish in each bite.



Fat rating: 5.5/10

Salt rating: 4/10

Tast rating: 5.0/10




2 comments:

  1. We are sorry to hear about your experience! Please visit http://www.eplfeedback.com/social & let us follow up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha a 1?!?! Wow, don't think I've ever seen anything so low Brent, that sucks ass and is a reason why you don't get fish. Ever.

    ReplyDelete