Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Baja Fresh - Steak Taco Combo and Chicken Tortilla Soup

I rarely go here because it's a little out of the way and has a bad location.  I dropped my brother off at his friend's and went to get some tacos.  The menu was overwhelming, took a few minutes before I decided on a steak taco combo and chicken tortilla soup.

After I ordered I got chips (always good when places give chips before a meal) and headed toward the salsa bar.  While Rubio's (competitor) has smooth sauces, Baja Fresh has a plethora of both chunky (mild) and smooth (medium-hot) sauces.  It's pretty damn impressive, especially the PINEAPPLE SALSA (far left of pic). I got that and the mild salsa, which was mainly tomatoes (far right).  It reminds me of El Loco's salsa (a local place, will review sometime).  Pretty much this is how salsa should be done.



The chicken tortilla soup was pretty hot temperature wise, as to be expected.  The main flavor was from the tomato broth, it tastes like it looks pretty much.  The grilled white meat chicken in the soup was tender from being marinated in the broth.  There were also pieces of avocado, cheese, tortilla strips (which were basically melted), and basil/onions.  I would have probably not mind the onions but they were still crunchy which created problems.  Oh, and the soup was the saltiest thing I've tasted in awhile.



Fat rating: 2/10

Salt rating: 10/10

Taste rating: 8/10


Onto the food, the steak tacos were quality, using shredded romaine instead of iceberg lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes on flour tortillas. The steak had a little of that green sauce pictured from the bar above which helped. Some of the steak not covered in the sauce had a generic steak taste, which was meh. Other than that, this is quality Tacographics material. The black beans and rice were literally identical to Rubio's, but when combined with chips and pineapple salsa, it created a unique flavor that I've not been accustomed too. It's mmmmmm though, sweet and salty is a great combo usually.


 
Fat rating: 4.5/10

Salt rating: 8/10

Taste rating: 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment